LASALLE — At a recent meeting of the Illinois Valley Symphony Orchestra Board of Directors, Andrea Kowalski was elected the new president of the board. Originally from Chicago, she has lived in Ottawa for 23 years and has been a speech communication teacher at Illinois Valley Community College for many years. Along with the IVSO Board, she is pleased to announce the 2017-18 concert season.
The board is fortunate to have Lucia Matos, music director and conductor, return to the podium to conduct the orchestra for this coming season. She is a skilled conductor and has been praised by all. Along with the skill and enthusiasm of the talented musicians who comprise the orchestra to carry on the legacy of the fine music for the Illinois Valley, Matos brings a new level of excellence to the Illinois Valley.
The upcoming season will include:
• Sept. 24, 3 p.m. at the IVCC Cultural Centre: a POPS concert “featuring violin prodigy,” Masha Lakisova, violin, performing the Saint Saens Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso and Meditation from Thais by Massenet, plus pops music all ages will love.
• Nov. 3, 7:30 p.m. at the IVCC Cultural Centre “Women in Music” with Kate Tombaugh, mezzo soprano, will perform “Annie Laurie” and “Irish Love Song,” plus Symphony in E Minor, “Gaelic” by Amy Beach.
• Dec. 16, 4 p.m. and Dec. 17, 3 p.m. at the L-P High School Auditorium: Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker ballet, fully staged with dancers from Dance Center, (LaSalle), Grey’s School of Dance (Ottawa) and Ottawa Dance Academy and the Snowflake Chorus by the Illinois Valley Youth Choir.
• March 11, 2018, 3 p.m. Ottawa High School Auditorium: Winners of the IVSO, 2018 Young Performers Competition, plus Dvoak’s Symphony No. 8
• May 12, 2018, 7 p.m. at the IVCC Cultural Centre: Kam-Lung Chung, violin, will perform Brahms Violin, Concerto in D Major and Isle of the Dead symphonic poem by Rachmaninoff.
These programs are sponsored in part by a grant from the Illinois Arts Council, a state agency. All performances venues are handicapped accessible.
For details and ticket information write to Illinois Valley Symphony Orchestra P.O. Box 306 Ottawa, IL 61350 or visit www.ivso.org to order subscriptions or individual tickets.
Those with questions should contact: Marilynn Hurley, board secretary and publicity, at 815-780-7117 or email@example.com.